Monday, June 25, 2012

{Summer Reads}...Quickies

Since I'm on vacay, there's no Weekend Update this Monday. Bummer, I know! But...Here we are with an enticing selection of short reads today for our Summer Reads series. I know, I know, James Dean is the epitome of attractive reading. Some plane rides (it feels like most) are pretty short, but there's lots of hustle and bustle. I can't stand bringing a huge book (no matter how good it is) with me on a plane. These fast reads are interesting and carry-on-friendly! They're also great if your  book club has a short attention span.

Saturday, by Ian McEwan: From the author of Atonement, Ian McEwan is the master of short novels that pique your interest instantly. Without being overly emotional or complex, Saturday follows a seemingly normal weekend that soon turns...interesting. You'll finish this book before the flight is over. 

Cathedral and Other Short Stories, by Raymond Carver: I read Cathedral in eighth grade and fell in love. Carver crafts some of the finest short stories I've ever experienced. I read all these stories within a single bus ride. It was lovely. 

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury: The late sci-fi guru wrote Fahrenheit 451 featuring a world where books are outlawed, and subsequently burned. Also, a great book by Bradbury is The Martian Chronicles, which I would highly recommend. 

The Reader, by Bernhard Schlink: The emotional and troubling short novel investigates the post-war German population and the issues dealing with the Holocaust. The movie, featuring Ralph Fiennes and Kate Winslet, was also highly acclaimed. 

The Cather and the Rye, by J.D. Salinger: My all time favorite novel. I have read this every year since I was in seventh grade. Every time I read it, I find I relate on a different level with the lovable, quirky and somewhat lost protagonist, Holden Caufield. I will undoubtably never love a single story more. Also try out J.D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey

Photo via

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...